10 Tips for Homebuyers and Sellers This Spring
Posted by Sandy Brodie on March 21, 2017
- Keep your options open. More than half (52 percent) of homebuyers surveyed in the report said they also considered renting, and more than one-third (37 percent) of first-time buyers seriously considered continuing to rent.
- Be realistic with your budget. Once you set it, stick to it.
- Get your financing squared away early. Plan to meet a few lenders four to six months ahead of when you’re planning to buy to ensure you can make a competitive offer quickly when you find your dream home.
- Find an agent with a winning track record. Take the time to find an agent who has expertise in fast negotiation, leveraging escalation clauses, and winning bidding wars.
- Communication is key. Make sure your preferred method—and frequency—of communication matches that of your agent.
- And for sellers:
- Start early and be strategic. Sellers consider putting their home on the market for five months before they list it—but the top seller regret is that they wished they spent more time prepping for the sale.
- Work with an agent from the start.
- Pay attention to your online curb appeal. The majority of buyers begin their search online.
- Home improvements can be a worthwhile investment. Sellers who fetched above list price tackled home improvements before listing their home, being 50 percent more likely to take on a large project like modifying an existing home plan and 20 percent more likely to renovate a kitchen than the average seller
- Don’t be afraid to try again. In many markets, nearly half of listing views occur in the first week the home is on the market.